Coming from a family where my mother made sure my sisters and I always had the most current vaccination for everything, I can say from first-hand experience that visiting the doctor's office isn't always the greatest of times. However, I do understand the risks of not being vaccinated. Some examples in the article I read, on the other hand, are some of the dumbest people I've ever read about.
For example, one family thought it would be much better if their son contracted the chicken pox naturally rather than being vaccinated for the disease. So, when the opportunity came for him to contract it from his father, they had them hug, share drinks, etc. just so he would get the chicken pox. Once he did, they invited friends over so they could get the disease as well. How idiotic can those parents be?! The dangers and complications of the disease are much more severe than a needle will ever be. The article explained all of the myths behind vaccinations, followed by the facts that prove vaccinations are worth the minute of pain.
Nurse Becky--also known as my mother--works at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, and she has seen a number of frightening cases while working there. Whenever there is a new vaccination out, whether or not the risk of actually getting the disease is .00000001 percent, she insists we visit the doctor's office and receive it. There was one time in high school I fought for weeks aginst going to get a flu shot because I knew she would make me get others while I was there. She promised she wouldn't make me, so I finally decided I would go. Well, just my luck--the nurse pulled out my file and said, "Looks like you are due for a Tetanus shot, second series for Hepatitis A and B, AND your flu shot!" Needless to say, my arms were numb for about two days.
Thanks mom, for keeping me such a healthy lady! Even if I do give you a hard time every time you bring up the next extremely important vaccine that I need to receive.
To understand more about vaccinations, visit http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/11/05/par.vaccine.kids/index.html
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment